Thursday 7 April 2016

ColourPop - Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick in MIDI review! The "Pure Hollywood" dupe!

Hi all, once again, thanks a bunch for stopping by! This review is on a product that is a well known dupe for a blogger favourite!



After watching Lycia Faith's (Youtube Personality) makeup tutorial, I couldn't help but admire the colour of her lips; a pale muted pink that looked super 
matte and natural. 


Lycia states she uses Anastasia Beverly Hills liquid lipstick in "Pure Hollywood" - a soft matte bubblegum pink colour. 

girl, pretty, and lycia faith image
(Lycia Faith - source, weheartit.com)

The only problem I had here was:

1.) ABH has not been officially released into UK stores and leading outlets.

2.) You CAN purchase ABH online, however it's rather costly.

So of course, I had to look for dupes and I came across the "Colourpop" range. They seemed price friendly enough but what about the critics? Well upon reading various reviews, my research turned into development (har har) and I decided to purchase the Colourpop liquid lipstick in "Midi."

                                       (alyahnaitaklee.tumblr.com)


Colourpop is a USA based brand and they retail for just $6 each. However, custom charges increase the prices for UK customers. I got mine brand new and boxed from a lady selling on the Depop app for just £10!

Colourpop also state: "
You will be happy to know that all of our Lippie Liners and Lippie Stix are Vegan. Almost all of our Super Shock Shadows, Creme Gel Colours & Super Shock Cheeks are vegan. With the following exceptions:" - see here for more details.



Colourpop state this is a "soft neutral beige" whereas I personally feel that it's a light soft bubble pink nude tone.

I personally do not own a ABH liquid lipstick but here, this blogger has swatched the two products to compare colours - as you can see they are very similar in tone with MIDI swatching slightly lighter than Pure Hollywood.


(Source - lipdrama.blogspot.co.uk)


Here are my personal swatches of the product, without flash and with flash. I love the subtle hint of a brown/peach tint that you can see here in the swatches. Lipstick colours have come such a long way! Gone are the days of a simple bold colour or a muted shimmer, the 2010's are all about the multi-tones so there's literally a lipstick shade for EVERYONE!

   


Here's how the product appears on me in different lights:

I was concerned this wouldn't suit me in the flesh but to my surprise, it held up pretty well in various ways can I add!! It looks very bright during application as it's very pigmented but it dries to a more subtle colour. One of the things I noticed was that I don't need lipliner with this product. I prep and plump my lips before applying and I find that a lot of lipliners will appear too dark in contrast to this colour. However, it's different for everyone, so you may personally find it beneficial to wear a liner with this product! MIDI is bold enough to make a statement, yet leaves a natural finish which gives it the thumbs up from me! I noticed there was a noticeable amount of the product left on my lips after several hours - I don't expect any lip product to stay on for the WHOLE day, however if you can still see some of it after a long day in the office, you know the item is good value for money! I adore it and I can definitely see myself buying more products from Colourpop in the future!

























Pros:




Lovely pigmented finish




Dries to a subtle matte colour



Lasts for several hours - I recommend a good lip primer to help keep your product in place. I personally use Asda's own lip primer and/or Kiko lip primer which is a dupe for Mac's lip eraser

Price friendly and mainly (as stated previously) vegan

Large range of colours available

Product proves to be a great high end dupe as mentioned before! 




Cons:
Not available in UK stores so custom charges apply. They are however still a bargain, since they retail at just $6 each.

Very dry and flaky lips likely will not get along with any matte lipsticks. You CAN combat this with paying extra attention to your lip-care. A toothbrush, flannel or a lip scrub can rid of any excess flakes. 

This colour in particular will not suit everyone as it is a fairly light shade - darker skins may prefer something a couple of shades darker with more warmth. 

So what did you think of my post? Have you tried MIDI and/or Pure Hollywood? How do they compare in your eyes?

Thanks for reading

Shez!

Social Networks:

Facebook
BlogLovin
Insta: shez_palmer


No comments:

Post a Comment