Friday 15 May 2015

Review - Mac Matte Gel Primer

I picked this product up from the Mac concession store in Selfridges. As someone who suffers from combination dry and oily skin, naturally, I was going to be intrigued when I saw it and therefore, I just HAD to buy it of course! ;)




The Mac Matte Gel primer contains 25ml of product and costs £16.00 and you purchase it online here. 

My skin is a nightmare in terms of getting shiny throughout the day, so I'm in constant hope for a miracle product that will prevent my unsightly oil slick appearance. I have a good skin care regime and take vitamins daily, so surely a matte primer would do the trick? Sadly, only ONE primer has actually done the job for me and I recently went back to using it (I have no idea why I took a hiatus from my HG primer either) which I've mentioned here. 

Here's what Mac say about the Matte Gel:

"A matte-ifying cream that acts like a powder, MAC Matte adds a sheer, no-shine matte texture in one smooth layer. May be used on bare or made-up skin. Use a latex sponge or a 252 Large Shader Brush to apply over the entire face or in the T-zone to reduce the appearance of shine. Apply MAC Matte after moisturiser, but before foundation to prime the skin for makeup. Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation applies smoothly and effortlessly over top of MAC Matte. Apply MAC Matte to eyelids before applying Eye Shadow or Paints to help increase the longevity of the makeup and reduce creasing."

 (extract from Mac Cosmetics UK website)



I must admit I was wary about purchasing this because Mac Cosmetics  have a tendency to break me (and many other beauty lovers) out in spots. Still, I wanted to try a "higher" end primer that was a reasonable price so I felt this was my best option. 

I do like the packaging of the gel. A squeeze tube, practical and a clear packaging so I can see how much product I have left. 


(With flash)


(Above, with no flash)

As you can see, the gel is a clear, see through colour, which means you can stop worrying about it altering the pigment of your skin.



I have worn this primer about 5 times throughout a typical week and whilst I like the smooth velvet finish on my skin, it doesn't control my shine through the day. It DOES have a subtle blurring effect, so you may want to look at this product for minimising fine lines and pores but as far as anti shine goes, it was a fail for me. This is a disappointing outcome as I've read fantastic reviews on other beauty blogs but this just proves that every person's skin will react differently to each product out there. 


I also want to mention that I did break out in several small spots after a couple of days of using the product. This won't necessarily happen to other people but I thought I'd warn those of you who may have sensitive or acne prone skin.

Thank you for reading! Let me know in the comment box below if you've had a similar or more positive experience with the Mac Matte Gel primer!

Shez x

Social Networks:




No comments:

Post a Comment