Saturday 7 February 2015

Makeup Revolution Haul

Makeup Revolution has taken the beauty world by storm since it's debt in 2014 with their affordable yet surprisingly high quality products. They're also proud to be a "dupe" brand with their eyeshadow palettes being compared to "Urban Decay's" Naked collection! In the last month or 2 I've bought a fair few bits I thought I'd share with you all!






I've always been a bit wary of low priced beauty brands because lets be honest, the quality of the cosmetics show that you get what you pay for...at least sometimes anyway. I love the beauty brand MUA for it's lip velvets (Lime Crime dupes) and I also used the highlighter weekly for contouring. However their skin products are nothing to write home about, lack of coverage and no longevity of product when worn.

When I noticed the "Makeup Revolution" stand in Superdrug in Summer 2014, I was compelled to purchase a couple of bits and I went straight for the concealer and blush palette. I've gave both of those away since because I found the concealer to be more fitting to those with dry skin rather than my oily mess I deal with. The blush palette was great but I prefer the sharp cheekbone appearance on myself and blush is better for a hint of warmth/flush on your cheeks.

Many months down the line I purchased 7 more products from the brand and I found the majority of these items to suit me far more than my previous purchases. So lets have a look shall we?


First we have the "Baked Eyeshadow" in "Beyond Eden." It retails at just £2.50 and this is my "night/evening" out eyeshadow. 


The eyeshadows come in a easy to use, clear package with what I like to call a terrible excuse for an eyeshadow brush that seemed to be placed in every eyeshadow palette going. Sorry! 


As far as colours go, I chose these earthy tones because I have hazel eyes and wanted to bring out the mixtures of brown and green in them. The white shimmery tone is perfect for below the brow bone and the inner corner of the eyes, where as the browns and greens can be mixed or used separately creating lots of fun looks to experiment with!

(Above, swatches with no flash)


For £2.50 you get a lot of pigment and you can see it more easily with flash which is how the swatches looked in person.


Pictured above is the eyeshadow set with my trusty eye tools - don't use the applicator with the set if you wish for a more professional and precise finish!

Overall Ratings:

Price: 10/10

Colours: 9/10

Would I purchase again? Yes I would, I adore eyeshadows with high pigment as they tend to have better longevity. Why spend more on other brands when this does the job for cheap?



My next show and tell is their glorious highlighter! I chose the "golden lights" colour as I find white toned highlighters are exceptionally awesome for highlighting on fair skin tones!



This retails at just £3.00 and I actually really like the packaging because I think the gold font goes well with the white colour of the highlighter! 


This is a gorgeous white highlighter with specks of gold shimmery tones. I've been using this religiously ever since I bought it - I highly doubt I'll use another one anytime soon. 



The highlighter is pigmented but not so much that it looks completely false and unnatural on my fair skin. :)


Pictured above is my highlighter and the brushes I use to apply the product - for the best finish, I would strongly advise investing in angled brushes rather than using a standard powder brush!

Overall Ratings:

Price: 10/10

Colour; 9/10

Would I repurchase? Without a doubt. I love the expensive looking packaging and the fact it lasts all day on top of my mineral face powder. If you're a fair skinned girl I highly recommend it. 




I picked up these concealers on a whim because they simply intrigued me. The "One" concealer looked like a dupe for Benefit's rather expensive "fake up" cover up. Admittedly I liked the packaging of both of these concealers and I guess they were my main reason for purchasing but can you really go wrong with the price? You've got nothing to lose!

The One Concealer, £3.00 in Light.


This concealer's packaging is of a pretty poor standard and within a week the fonts were starting to rub off....but how did the actual product fair?





If you're familiar with Benefit's "Fake Up" then you're probably aware of the confusion regarding the formula. It is hydrating formula and the part that does the "job" is the little circle right in the middle (pictured above) - not sure if this applies to the "One" concealer but according to beauty gurus across the net, this concealer is great for under eye circles and bags. 


Swatch above shows it's true to it's colour claims.......sadly that's the only good thing about it. It took about 10 swipes on my hand for me to see any colour being produced on my hand. I also tried using this on imperfections including my dark circles and the result was disappointing - you couldn't even tell I was wearing makeup and nothing was covered. 

Overall Rating:

Price: 10/10

Colour: 10/10

Coverage: 0/10

I honestly think you'd need PERFECT flaw free skin to get away with using this, but what would be the point? Either way, the price was so good, I don't feel like I've wasted my money and I kept the product purely for blog purposes.


Liquid Concealer: Fair/Natural, £1.50


Much like the highlighter, I find the packaging to be rather fancy and it lead me to buying it.



This is a typical wand concealer which I prefer overall. The swatch below shows just one swipe on my hand (haha) and I like the colour - it's a good match for me! The coverage wasn't the best but you can't expect much for £1.50, lets face it. I find this useful for concealing my lip line so I can draw over it for a slightly bigger "plump" effect - at least it has it uses! :D



Overall Rating:

Price: 10/10

Colour: 10/10

Coverage: 5/10


(Left, liquid concealer swatch. Right, the one concealer swatch)

As you can see, the colour range in concealers for makeup revolution is great for fair skinned girls but the shades don't go much darker than  medium which is am obvious let down! Above shows the difference in consistency with both concealers. I honestly wouldn't bother purchasing either unless you want a little pick me up for a gym/local shop visit!


Salvation  Lip Lacquers, £3.00 each



(The dark pink shade is rebel and the dark purple is black heart)

Make-up Revolution has a bit of competition with the velvet lip trend taking the beauty world by storm! From Lime Crime to MUA - every cosmetic brands seems to be getting involved with the hype and trying to create a better formula! 

I chose the rebel colour because it's actually fairly red toned in person and I find red lip products with a hint of pink tend to suit me more than solid red/orange toned shades. The black heart was bought so I can embrace my inner goth (ha) and I thought it would be a great shade to wear with black and for nights out...not that I go on many! In typical wand shaped fashions, the liquid lacquers are supposedly pigmented and long lasting. I LOVE them. Okay, they're not as long lasting as Lime Crime's velvets but for £3.00, I'm super happy they last at all, as well as being extremely pigmented. The rebel shade suits me better than any other lip product I've used and I'm so pleased that repurchasing it won't destroy my bank balance! 


(Above, top without flash. Bottom, with flash)


Overall Rating:

Price: 10/10

Colours: 10/10

Would I repurchase? Of course.



This liquid eyeliner retails at £1.50 and in this case, it was either going to be brilliant or poor in quality.



The applicator is easy to use and I am amazed by it's staying power - it doesn't budge a bit and the finishing result always looks neat, including the cat eye flick! I will no longer purchase my Loreal Superliner although I will miss the packaging. Similar to the "One" concealer, the writing smudged off within a a week or so of using this but again, the price makes up for this small woe I have with the product!

Overall Ratings:

Price: 10/10

Staying Power: 9/10

Would I repurchase? Without a shadow of a doubt ;) If you need a super precise liner on the cheap, THIS is your next purchase! :P

Thank you to anyone who bothered to read this super lengthy post. As of today (07/02/2015) I am currently revamping my blog so I apologise for it's plain appearance but it's only temporary!

Shez x

FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA FEED:




No comments:

Post a Comment