Sunday 28 August 2016

We are being punished for our desire to be educated?

Having recently read a biased article on the "Financial Times" site, I thought I'd share my views on the subject of whether University is worth it.


The Author states that attending University and getting a degree is essentially the only way to achieve a high paying job. The author is admittedly biased because the process worked for her, which I think is fantastic and I commend anyone for getting their head down and enduring sleepless nights tackling assignments and dissertations to get a step ahead in their lives. Having said that I commend anyone that has worked towards their goals and making an effort, regardless of what route they taken.

University has become a more of a controversial subject in recent years. Back in the 20th Century, it was believed that University was the key element of a successful career. After all, it's the likes of many Doctor's, Scientists, Teachers, Lawyers (etc) that have attained a degree so it is always assumed they're the "brighter" bunch of the world. I myself was born in 1991 and grew up as a neighbour to many shared properties that bore Uni students. I am not certain of the costs of loans at the time however, it is well known that the fees have increased to absurd amounts. In 2010, the Government announced that by 2012, the number will increase to £9000 per year. The average duration of a University course is 3 years which leaves students in a whopping £27,000 of debt and that's not including the costs of accommodation and general living.


(Source)

 I have two close friends that attended University before the fee rise and they've themselves quoted they were fortunate to have not enrolled during the more recent rise of costs. However, they are having to pay for their student loan regularly as their hard work lead them to what you'd consider a "higher" paid job for early 20 somethings. So you see. You work your arse off, some students working horrendous hours to afford accommodation, get rewarded with a career that moves you up the ladder just to pay thousands back for heck knows many years. I find it appalling. I am not stating everything should be free but there's a damn good reason that many are opting out of University. The same applies for college courses and apprenticeships.

College! Back when I attended I was eligible to claim £30 a week in Education Maintenance Allowance. I stayed in education till I was 20 and was allowed the adult learning grant (non-repayable, non taxed) for the rest of the duration of my course. Yeah, that was scrapped in (first announced in 2010) 2011. As for apprenticeships - the current wage for under 19's (or 19 and in your first year) is a pathetic £3.30 an hour. Many over 19's are in an apprentice scheme because they grew tired of their former jobs, can't afford Uni/College or have not managed to to secure employment post education. That leaves them with another issue - I would not even expect under 19's to comfortably live off £3.30 an hour let alone over 19's. Yeah you heard. Even though it's illegal for over 19's to be paid less than the government minimum, many businesses are STILL underpaying staff. Some taken advantage of the desperate who need a colourful CV for future prospects.


(Source)


From what you've read above you'll understand that sometimes, you just cannot win. The thing is with debt, it's going to have to be paid off at some point, even if it's not for a while. It's almost as if the Government are punishing you for wanting to educate yourself. They have plenty of cash to splash on trivial matters but making education accessible to others clearly isn't a necessity.

I am sure some would debate against some of the points I have raised. My partner is 25 years old and someone asked me if he would consider an apprenticeship. I had the same when I was unemployed. Lets be clear, even if it was for a "year" how do you expect someone to afford home living, food,  general outgoings and travel expenses on £3.30 an hour? The £6.70 minimum wage is tough enough. Are our "parents" meant to support us financially as adults? Some support is useful but paying for costs of living, food, uni grants, college fees? No, that's just not acceptable. Not all of us even live with parents. If myself and my partner were to do an apprenticeship right now, minimum wage or apprentice salary, we would be quite literally screwed. There'd be no moving out, potential chance of homelessness should circumstances change in our current living situation, no car and scraping by, avoiding spending more than £20 a week on food. You could argue the suffering of an apprenticeship is worth it. Again, this is all dependent on the nature of your workplace, the employer and the economic troubles that threaten businesses daily. Many workplaces can only "afford" to hire apprenticeships - it becomes a perpetual cycle of hiring the newbies and laying off those who are finishing their apprenticeship and ready for a "qualified" salary. There are no promises that you will remain in your workplace after completing your work/study life and there's no guarantee that you'll secure an "adult" paid position elsewhere. I have bared witness to adults "repeating" their previously completed level of apprenticeship elsewhere or in the same place.

I am fortunate my career path (marketing and part time acting) does not require me to undertake a degree. I am doing a course (neither college or Uni, a standalone home learning scheme) that is helping me develop my marketing skills needed for me working as a trainee. My partner is in a similar position working self employed with his father, a respected business man; a financial adviser with a list of long term, loyal clients. He didn't glitter his way through education- hard work and dedication resulted in his success. Some nights were long, and no career is ever plain sailing but surely that would be deemed a highly successful job? I KNOW for a fact it does. It is indeed crystal clear evidence that not every high paid career path requires GCSE's, A-levels, degrees and more.

So. To say that University is vital for career progression is diabolical and offensive to those who have climbed to the top of the ladder without following the expected and generic way of "achieving" goals. I myself have no regrets over my time in education. I am glad I did it and pleased with my qualifications but in no way would I belittle others who are happy and successful in what they're doing or assume that not going to college is going to end in failure. I worked my arse off in college and I am doing my best now at work, my course and acting. It's not all about being "well off" and in a classified job sector, it's about exploring opportunities and in my view, feeling content every time you wake up for work is the true and transparent definition of success.


(Source)

So lets simplify my views:

Is the trouble of getting a degree (or similar financially restricting courses) the ONLY solution for a high paid career?

Only if your chosen career path deems it necessary. Too many adults are in copious amounts of debt with no end result.

Essentially, University and related courses should be taken seriously. Those who are in education or contemplating the move would do well to understand the financial implications and the serious commitment and dedication you'll need to make. Your investment needs to be worthwhile - it's like a company spending thousands on a product and it's marketing and getting no end sales or repeat purchases....and yet,  such an investment can be a fantastic start to a glittering career - the debt is more justified then. 


___________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment