Tuesday 5 May 2015

PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. What is it and how does it affect me?

This is a health related post I've wanted to do for a while because there are many others out there that suffer with this horrendous yet fairly unknown illness that affects many women across the globe.



Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a condition that affects the production of hormones in the body. This is a condition that only women suffer with and although it's not rare, a lot of people haven't heard of it and because of this, I feel there's been a lack of awareness spread about this medical problem.

First of all, it's still unknown as to why women develop this condition in the first place, so the medics state it's likely to be a genetic illness. It's not contagious but your chances of developing it are higher if it's common with the women in your family. 

PCOS can develop right from the beginning of puberty, however many women are diagnosed after giving birth. 

So what happens?
A crowd of cysts grow on the ovaries and it's not like having a cyst on your skin because it affects you internally. First of all, cysts can affect your menstrual cycle rate, due to the nature of where they have grown and this can have a negative effect on a woman's fertility. The cysts overproduce hormones, particularly the testosterone. I should also mention that you don't need to have ovarian cysts to have the condition. Unfortunately, PCOS comes with an overproduction of insulin which in effect irritates your body as a whole.
Although all women have a mix of female hormone oestrogen and testosterone, many who suffer with PCOS will have a higher production of testosterone than someone who doesn't suffer from the condition. Due to the over production of testosterone, many women with PCOS suffer with severe skin disorders from acne, to cystic inflamed spots on the skin. Some women with PCOS struggle to maintain their weight and remain clinically obese despite a healthy lifestyle and in some cases, some women even produce excess hair on their body and thinning hair on their scalp. PCOS affects your mental well being and anyone with the condition will know what a hard time you will experience when menstruating. 

All symptoms vary and the biggest challenge women face with PCOS is conceiving although it is very possible to naturally conceive with the condition, should you live a healthy lifestyle. Below is an image example comparing the appearance of a non affected ovary to one that has cysts. 




My story with PCOS:

I was an early developer and experienced my first ever cycle aged 11 - still in Junior school. Before that, I had a few spots on my forehead, although it was nothing too noticeable.

By the time I was 12 and started secondary school, (perfect timing eh?) my acne was absolutely horrendous. My skin tone became ghostly and I had a large build up of cystic, "yellow head" acne all over my face, even near my neck. I also developed spots on the top of my arms and chest. Not only did I suffer with acne, I had VERY oily skin and a lot of dry patches on my forehead, chin and nose. This was a horrible time for me because I felt my appearance stopped me making friends because people were repulsed by my face and the fact it made me self concious made me an easy target for bullies - I am aware a lot of other people have had problems with school and acne in general and I think it's disgusting that even kids think they have every right to put someone down. 

By the time I was 13 the menstrual problems began and after one horrific period where I was bed bound for the day, from then on, I only had about 2 periods per year and everytime I had one they were extremely heavy. I visited so many GP's who continuously proclaimed  it was just "hormones" and "puberty" and for about three years I tried a LOT of creams and antibiotics but NOTHING stabilised my bad skin. 


While all this was going on I had bad case of "dandruff" that wouldn't shift no matter the treatment and I was constantly itchy, sore and riddled with flakes. All of this is extremely embarrassing for a teenager and I strongly believe it pretty much ruined my whole secondary school experience for me as well as missing out on being a typical teenager. 


Aged 15 and nearing the end of secondary school, I'd completely had enough. I never wanted to leave the house because of my appearance and I was constantly uncomfortable with raging hormones, a scalp condition and painful acne. I wouldn't join in any social events that involved stopping over someone's house because I knew I would have to take my make-up off and it would bother me personally, just knowing that my skin would be exposed.

 I visited another Doctor and he was the only GP I had seen that actually bothered to "listen" to what I had to say. He suspected I had PCOS and booked me in for an ultrasound at the local hospital. The scan was uncomfortable because you have to drink so much beverage in order for the scans to become clear but I was determined to find out what was wrong with me. Not too long after the ultrasound, my GP showed me my scan on his computer screen and sure enough, my ovaries were riddled with cysts and I received my diagnosis of PCOS. 


My PCOS was indeed the cause of every symptom I previously mentioned. I was also informed that my dandruff was actually "mild to moderate" scalp psoriasis and that a regular dandruff treatment is unlikely to ease the symptoms caused by it. PCOS induced acne is also virtually impossible to get rid of by using creams or your typical spot gels because the cause is internal as opposed to teenage hormonal acne or that "time of month" outbreak.

One of the most difficult things about PCOS to come to terms with is the health risks. PCOS means you have a higher chance of developing diabetes, obesity, heart complications and ovarian cancer. However, they can be reduced significantly with a healthy lifestyle. 


My Doctor suggested putting me on a repeat prescription for a contraceptive pill. Contraceptive pills tend to contain a lot of oestrogen and it can help fight off the over production of hormones caused by PCOS. I was initially reluctant but eventually agreed to start treatment. I was told the pill would regulate my periods although the cycles would only be pill induced, rather than my own. My Doctor explained the hormones in the pill should eventually clear my skin and ease the other symptoms of PCOS. The first pill I tried and continued to take for about 6 years was the Dianette pill. I'm no expert of types of contraceptive pills but they all work differently and you may have to try a few before you find one that works for you. The Dianette is a rather strong pill and whilst it's great for acne, I don't recommend using it for more than a year but that's due to personal experience - it's important to discuss any worries you have about the pill with your Doctor and again, remember that no specific pill will work for everyone with PCOS as everyone's symptoms vary! 


How is my PCOS now?

It took about a year but my skin did indeed clear up. With better skin and a regular cycle I completed a further four years of education after secondary school and now I have my ideal job. I do still suffer with very shiny skin and some dryness in certain areas but it's not as noticeable as it was in previous years. Make-up applies more smoothly as an addition.

I  changed the type of pill I was taking at the age of 22 to Yasmin and I still have my regular pill induced cycles.


My psoriasis is the one thing that hasn't really improved and I've had some sore bleeds on my scalp but it can be managed easier since I've been taking the pill. I find natural organic products work best for dry skin conditions in general. 


I am a none smoker and rarely drink which I feel strongly helps with the symptoms of PCOS - if you don't live a healthy lifestyle, it will have a negative impact on your current health and conditions. I have a simple skincare regime - I don't believe in overloading your skin with too many products. I use a good face wash, cleanser and moisturiser for day and night. 


The future?

I haven't really thought about fertility because I'm only 23 and not ready for such a big responsibility yet. I am focusing on my job and eventually getting my own place with my boyfriend. If I decide I want kids, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

I lead a fairly healthy lifestyle compared to other individuals in their 20's. I do watch what I eat and try to eat the right foods but I don't deny myself a treat day once a week. I also exercise 3-4 times a week and try to drink at least a glass of water daily.

I'm happy to continue taking the pill but I do find it a nuisance at times as it can increase your appetite and I've found that some of them give me rather horrible headaches per month. I would try a different option should it become available but as far as I am aware, a healthy lifestyle (and the contraceptive pills/other medication to balance insulin levels etc.) are the best way to control it. I would consider having my ovaries drilled in a surgical procedure (read about that here) if I became more desperate to conceive but again, that's not something I'm thinking about at this moment in time. 


If you think you may have PCOS, book that appointment now! PCOS can cause some negative effects on your health if left untreated. Here's a useful webpage documenting the symptoms and health risks of PCOS.


Sadly, PCOS CANNOT be cured but here's hoping there will be one in the future! Despite the negative effects caused by the condition, it can be managed and most importantly, it's not your fault if you have it! Here's a useful "myth" buster image I found that may help put things into perspective!



Everyone's symptoms, diagnosis and treatment will vary depending on the person as no two people are exactly the same!


Want to connect with others who suffer with PCOS? Check out the following links!


 PCOS awareness


 Facebook for PCOS awareness


 Twitter for PCOS awareness




Do you have PCOS? Are you worried about your symptoms? Drop a comment below!



Thanks For Reading!


Shez x 



My Social Media:


Instagram


Bloglovin






Image Sources:

http://national-cba.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/PCOS-common-myths-800x532-Genea.gif



http://www.fitnessvsweightloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/PCOS-diet.jpg

http://www.thedieteticconsultancy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/hjslamnglsvle.png

http://coastscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Hope-PCOS-Awareness-Ribbon-with-Butterfly.png




No comments:

Post a Comment