Sunday 11 October 2015

Kat Von D Lock it Tattoo Concealer: Light 16 & Light 18 Review!

I have ALWAYS wanted to try Kat Von D products. The gothic packaging and overall aesthetic really caught my eye and the reviews across the web shows these products certainly do not disappoint! Recently I purchased a few of the products and thought I'd share my thoughts on the concealer in the range!



If you don't know who Kat Von D is, then here is the low-down! Mexican born Katherine Von Drachenberg is best known for being a tattoo artist and appeared on the reality show "Miami Ink" before appearing on her own series titled "LA Ink."  She gained a massive following due to the exposure through her shows and even held a Guinness World Record for tattooing the largest amount of customers (400) in just 24 hours which was subsequently broken by her now ex husband, Oliver Peck. 



In 2008, Kat Von D launched a cosmetic line (in her own name) with "Sephora" - a French brand and chain of retail cosmetic stores. All cosmetics are vegan and 100% cruelty free which is a bonus to an animal lover like me and many others alike! 

"Created by Kat Von D, tattoo artist, TV star, and owner of High Voltage Tattoo, this inspiring makeup collection exemplifies the fusion of glamorous, old Hollywood and edgy rock 'n' roll. Kat’s distinct style and flawlessly crafted face reveals that she is as masterful with a makeup brush as she is with a tattoo machine."


New collections are released exclusivity to Sephora each year and we just can't get enough of them! From pigmented eyeshadows, to colourful lipsticks, to luxury contour kits - this is easily one of the most popular beauty brands going. Sadly, I have never been to a Kat Von D counter as I am UK based and there are no Sephora stores here - although there WAS one near to where I used to live many moons ago! UK fans are able to purchase their cosmetics on the Sephora website but the shipping charges are high and since then, the line has been released on "Roses Beauty Store" which means you don't have to wait too long for your delivery! Unfortunately, Kat Von D cosmetics are REALLY pricey and this is why it took me so long to buy anything from the range! Fortunately, we do have eBay and many other selling sites and apps where we can purchase genuine cosmetics for discount prices, although not all of them are authentic, some are, such as the 2 concealers I purchased from the selling app Depop! 

Tattoo Lock It Concealer (9 Shades in total)
£26.99 Roses Beauty Store 
$25.00 Sephora

Extract from Sephora about the product:


What it is:
A highly-pigmented, full-coverage, transfer- and water-resistant concealer. 

What it does:
Kat Von D Concealer is a creamy, blendable secret weapon that provides the ultimate, customizable coverage to hide dark circles, blemishes, and anything you don’t want the world to see. This oil- and paraben-free, long-wearing formula is perfect for any occasion that calls for a flawless look. 

What else you need to know:

"No one has to see what you don't want them to see!”—Kat Von D
So,I have the Lock It concealer in light 18 and light 16 - Originally  I planned to get light 16 but couldn't find it for cheap anywhere so when I had the chance to grab 18 for a bargain price, I just went for it. Somehow, I ended up with light 16 as I got a great price for it. Having the 2 will be particularly useful regarding comparisons in colours and how it looks on my fair skin and that may be helpful to those reading this post! 

The packaging is just beautiful! I love the squeezy tubes and I prefer application with a squeeze tube to a wand seen on other concealers! In each concealer you get 0.58 oz of product. There are a variety of shades to choose from - light 16 is currently the lightest shade available and the deepest being deep 38. 

Light 16 - Light Complexion with a pink undertone
  Light 18 - Light complexion with a beige undertone 


I am actually both of these shades. Reason being is, whilst I am fair and suffer with redness from acne scarring, my undertone is beige/olive due to my Indian genes. However, I do think Light 16 is pretty dark for a shade that is catered to pink undertones - very pale readers may want to steer clear of this one. 

(Left Light 16, right Light 18)




As you can see, both shades are actually pretty darn similar and they BOTH match my skin perfectly well when blended in! The texture is a typical liquid that will need thorough blending to set into the skin. I do like the smell of these concealers - no strong perfume scent and I'd know if it was a Kat Von D product if I was blindfolded and smelt them! They have a demi matte type of finish to the skin, neither drying or greasy but if you're oily skinned like me likely you will need a setting powder to finish application. 

The coverage was a disappointment for me. As a concealer that was also designed to hide body art, it does not cover my flaws as well as I thought - in fact, my Hard Candy Glamoflauge concealer does a better job of covering my scars, however the Kat Von D concealer has a much less cakey finish in my opinion, so it's fantastic for concealing dark circles under your eyes! 


Pros:
Pigmentation - A medium coverage concealer that is indeed build able. Perfect to wear alone if you don't need foundation. 
Packaging - Gorgeous and practical, looks great on your dressing table!
Texture - A nice soft finish neither too matte or oily so it would accommodate to most skin types! 
Vegan - Not tested on animals, 100% cruelty free product makes it a worthwhile investment!

Cons:
Price - Original retail price is quite expensive, especially if you don't live in the USA! However, might be worth looking around for second hand sanitized products on Depop/eBay

Coverage - I do not have any body art, so I cannot speak for those who have tattoos, however I do not recommend this product for concealing larger detailed pieces. 


I would rate this product a 7/10 in total. I am not sure I would repurchase this concealer again, however I have the Lock It foundation which I love....review coming soon!

What did YOU think of this product? Would you recommend it? Comment below!


Thanks for reading :D


Shez x



Social Media Channels:

Facebook Page

Instagram

Twitter


BlogLovin



Kat Von D Sephora Image Source

Kat Von D Image from Tumblr



No comments:

Post a Comment