Monday 6 June 2016

COMIC CON: MCM Excel London 2016 Experience + Haul!

Earlier this year, me Lee and two of our close friends decided it would be a cool idea to go to a "London" Comicon. 




Admittedly, it was me who initiated the idea of going but the others were interested in attending anyway. We purchased priority tickets and our train fares in advance. I personally saved a few pennies in the months leading up to the event as I knew how likely it would be that I'd see something and instantly grab it!



Source

Here's the official MCM site for all reliable sources, including show dates and booking information. 

So how did we travel? Since we are in Birmingham, we figured it would be far more prudent to catch a train. It only took (just under) two hours and was far more pleasant than a drive would of been. You have to remember the congestion charges and parking woes after all! 



My partner Lee with the "Sir" filter.

To our delight, there was free WIFI on the train with plugs, should you need to charge any electronic devices. Of course, no train journey is fun without the snapchat filters right?

Me and Lee faceswapped. 

We got to the station in London walked a short distance to the tube station.The tube journey was approx 40 minutes long, although it felt far quicker. There were a LOT of cosplayers on the same tube as us and it was reassuring to know we could all stick together and follow one another - if you're not used to the hustle and bustle of London, it can be rather daunting.

We finally got what appeared to be a tram to Excel London and made our way to the convention. Thankfully, our priority tickets meant we could gain fast access. There were two huge rooms to explore. Now I have been to another MCM before but London is something else. It is HUGE and there is a LOT, I repeat, a LOT of people, so if you struggle with crowds, you may want to give attending a second thought. There's so much to see and it's a struggle just knowing where to start. There's all sorts of fun activity going on at MCM, from stalls selling stationery, merchandise, toys, jewelry and beauty, to game station, interactive experiences and autograph signings. 

It was hard for me to get decent quality pictures. At MCM, there's a lot of busy crowds and it makes it hard to get a clear, non-shaky image on a camera phone. I selected the best quality pictures out of the ones I had taken, so continue to read if you want to have a glimpse of what it's like to be at MCM!

The Beano creator signing at his stall.

An interesting Asian cat cushion


Steampunk Star Wars replicas, including the millennium falcon. 


The Hello Kitty child friendly indoor garden featuring Deadpool 

Any opportunity to sit down and rest our aching feet, we would! From left to right: Me, Lee, Josh and Emma.


Square-Enix: Lightning Farron, Yuffie, Red XIII , Cloud Strife and Tifa Lockhart. 

Marvel, lifelike figures at the Square-Enix section. 


This is where I lost my shit (excuse my French)
This store is known as Dreamy Bows, a stockist of Japanese fashion and beauty that just happened to stock the Miracle Romance Sailor Moon cosmetics!


Sailor Moon figures and proplica merchandise. 

Excellent Slenderman cosplay! 

Had to be done!


The best and worst of my MCM experience:

Best:

Excel London is huge and there's so many stalls and game stations to explore. There's always somewhere to go and something to do.

Collectable import based stores - these are perfect for those who have refrained from buying imports online due to shipping costs.

Cosplay community - there's a large circle of cosplayers to be seen at MCM and you'll find the majority of them to be friendly and happy to show off their outfit and even take a picture with you! 

Potential to meet new like minded friends - with so many visitors, you're bound to run into someone you have something in common with.

Meet and greets with TV and Movie stars: Check to see who's appearing at your next MCM date, you never know who'll show up.

Nostalgic toys - there are plenty of stalls selling rare, hard to find toys you, or even your older friends/family may remember from their childhood!

Cash and vending machines - although I would suggest withdrawing cash prior to your journey to MCM.

Discounts - many merchants are desperate to get rid of their stock and make a profit so they may be willing to knock a fiver or a tenner off, dependent on retail prices.  


Worst:

Crowds. Obviously, this place is going to be packed. My pet hates include slow walkers and naturally, you get that here.

Overcrowding at stalls. Sometimes you'll just have to push your way through to have a look at something.

Ques - if you're looking to participate in fun activities including game stations, you may be waiting a while to be granted a turn. 

A repetitive feel in various stalls as many sell the exact same or similar items for similar or different prices.

Some stall merchants will try and rip you off - be mindful you may be already find some items for a fraction of the price on eBay!

Lack of seating - many MCM goers including myself resort to sitting on the floor for breaks. The surrounding cafe's and foot outlets at Excel London will be constantly full. It may be prudent to bring your own refreshments. 


Haul
Now onto the second part of the post, continue reading if you'd like to see my MCM purchases!


As you can see from the image above, I didn't hesitate when it came to Sailor Moon! The first item I picked up is the Sailor Moon "Crystal Star" brooch replica that Usagi/Serena wears and has used to transform into her Sailor state. You may remember the quote "Moon Crystal
 Power." 




The brooch was made into a cosmetic face powder: "Miracle Romance Shining Moon Powder" and I purchased it from the Dreamy Bows stall. It cost a hefty £39.99, however, I do not intend on re-selling it, even if and when the powder has ran out. It is a must have for Sailor Moon fans, it makes great decor and as it's designed for adult fans, you don't have to worry about a tacky plastic appearance. It's rather chunky - the real Sailor Moon locket would NOT be this large in width but this IS a cosmetic product first and foremost. Full detailed product review coming soon!



The Moon Stick madness didn't stop there. I also purchased this lovely lipbalm for £20 and it's also in the style of Usagi's moon stick weapon, however it is a BALM formula and NOT a lipstick. Full detailed review coming soon!




(After doing some careful research, it seems, that the company (Creer Beaute) who made and distributed the Miracle Romance cosmetics, do NOT test on animals which is a huge relief. However, they are NOT vegan.)

Next up was my biggest splurge - the Spiral Heart Moon Rod Proplica, £90. Another classic Sailor Moon weapon made into a prop - it's worth me noting that like the Miracle Romance cosmetics, this is NOT a toy and is merely a collectables item. I purchased this from a Tamashii Nations stall, stocking all sorts of Japanese collectables. I am not 100% sure, but I believe this was released after the success of the Cutie Moon Rod Proplica, another collectable I wouldn't mind getting my hands on at some point in the future!


劇場版 美少女戦士セーラームーンS
The Spiral Heart Moon Rod, as it appears in the original animated Sailor Moon series. 

The rod itself comes in a visually appealing rectangular box - it is recommended that you keep the box incase of a move/selling and a need to put it somewhere safe. Once a replica like this breaks it loses a ton of value - I myself, am not planning on selling any of my collectable items purchased today. The images below show close ups of the rod, allowing you to see the fine detail of the item. It does have a toy-like appearance but it is of a high quality - the tip of the rod excels in brilliance - it's shiny and appears luxurious. You can insert batteries if you wish to see the rod light up. At the moment, it's not a must for me. 







This is a miniature version of the collectable "Moon Stick" used as one of Sailor Moon's weapons in the Anime series. I already own a larger version including a miniature version of the cute moon rod, hence my reasoning for buying this, just to add to my collection! It was from the Dreamy Bows stall and cost £12.99. 




Now we move onto my more creepy purchases. I've been a fan of the Alien movies for many years and I had previously picked up a Xenomorph necklace from a different MCM but I had to get this lovely ring to match it! 



This is a rare "Extreme Head Knocker" Alien figurine. It is not a toy and best used as a collectable and/or decor. I've seen many xenomorph figures but this stood out to me. I had no intention of keeping it in a box and yes - the head does bobble well, haha. 

This Egg sitting Xenomorph has found its place on my dressing table. 

Here's my MCM finds laid out with my other collectables on the dressing table. I am currently sharing a room with Lee so at the moment, there's no room to spread out my items elsewhere. 


As mentioned before, I will be posting in depth reviews of the Miracle Romance cosmetics, including swatches and close up product views, so keep your eyes peeled!

I do hope that if you have read this post, that you've enjoyed it and it's helped contribute to your decision regarding whether you should visit MCM or not.

Thanks for reading and do be sure to check out my social media pages!

Shez :D

Networks:


Instagram: shez_palmer






No comments:

Post a Comment