Thursday 27 August 2015

Beauty/Style Myths I just don't understand!

There are some beauty myths that are just horrible inaccurate so I'd like to discuss some of them on my blog! 

The world of beauty is complex - all them ingredients we put on our face daily with little knowledge about the ins and outs of the product. We have habits, we have our ways of doing things but others are quick to pass judgement and sometimes, they're not always right! So with that, I'm going to write about the beauty myths that quite frankly, infuriate me the most! I know that I have put "truth" under these common beauty myths and I accept that it is mainly a matter of opinion for most of the part but you should take into account what I've said based on experience.

Myth: "If you have spots, it's because you're not looking after your skin properly!"

Truth: Spots are hormonal and we cannot control how and when we get them and prevent them. The same applies with other skin conditions such as Rosacea and Psoriasis with are simply genetic- no one is particularly asking for it! A lot of teenagers develop acne due to the fact they are growing and developing rapidly and it's a lot for your body to deal with. 

When your hormones are out of control, you can expect your skin to be. You'll actually find that those with acne are probably a lot better at keeping their skin hygienic than those who are blessed with naturally clear skin - this is because it is likely they will be on a strict skin care regime as an attempt to clear their acne. 

Here's another thing: Food does NOT cause acne and neither does applying cosmetics to your face. If YOUR individual skin type doesn't agree with a certain product/food , you can suffer an allergic reaction that causes break outs and redness. If you have oily skin, this can help contribute to the development of new spots as their is a build up of oil on your skin. However, oily skin is down to your genes and not because of that foundation you applied or a mascara you used. Certain products can help keep your oil to a minimum but please do not assume you are to blame for your shine!

 There are no ingredients in cosmetics or food that would cause your HORMONES to spiral out of control - makes sense now right? If you are getting spots, the cause is internal and nothing applied on the surface has made you get any in the first place. If you have acne, please see a Doctor as you may need a medical prescription because creams and gels can only do so much! 

Myth: Make-Up is best applied with brushes

Truth: This is clearly a matter of personal preference. I personally prefer to apply my foundation and concealer with my fingers. I have tried so many brushes but my finish is always best when no brushes have been used! I believe it all depends on your skin type and the finish you desire for your skin. I do however believe eyeshadow is best applied with a brush because I struggle to pick up any pigmentation on my lids if I use my finger tips! However, if you want a sheer hint of colour as a base for your lids, there's no reason why you have to use a brush! For contouring I used an angled brush due to how you apply a contour product. I do not use a brush to apply eye-liner or lipstick as I can work with my hands easier! 

Myth: Smokey Eyeshadows and Dark Lipsticks are best for Night wear! 


Truth: This one is seriously infuriating! If you want to rock your deep berry red lipstick in the day, you wear that lipstick and rock it! There are no rules. Smokey eyes look fabulous with a natural lip but it's entirely up to you! My "going out for the night" make-up is pretty much identical to my day time look but I honestly don't care! That's all there is to it!

Myth: If you don't shave, you're generally unhygienic and dirty as a person


Truth: It's fine for the average man not to shave their legs and armpits and they don't smell right? So why does a woman have to do the same? If someone chooses NOT to shave, respect it, it's their choice. I personally shave because admittedly, I do feel a little out of sorts otherwise but like many girls will agree, it's a lot of effort and probably one of the worst things about my favourite season Summer! Just because someone doesn't shave, you shouldn't assume they refrain from taking showers! 

Myth: Shampoo dries your hair out and you should stop using it if your hair is dry and damaged


Truth: False. There is no law saying you SHOULD use shampoo and conditioner, the same way there's no law you should use a shower gel! Shampoo's do contain drying ingredients such as paraffins and sulfates but it's also the point - shampoos are designed to clean your hair fresh, so of course your hair will feel dryer than how it did prior to washing with a shampoo. 

Myth: Dying your hair bright colours and wearing cartoon print clothing is immature and you should grow out of it past a certain age


Truth: How infuriating. I had no idea that the way someone chooses to dress defines their intelligence and all round maturity. If you want to wear your Disney print vans in your 30's and you want bright purple hair aged 50, go for it! No one should have to change to prove a point to anyone, everything you do should be for yourself and YOURSELF only!

(If your job requires you to have a subtle appearance, invest in good quality wigs and remember out of hours, is YOUR time to look how you please! Sods law - I do not agree with certain companies "rules and obligations" expected from employees but you shouldn't let it stop you from being comfortable in your own skin!)


High End products are better quality then those sold on the High Street


Truth: There are cases where you get what you pay for. Some items, no matter what they are can be sold very cheap for good reasons. However, as the years go by, high-street and drugstore fashion and beauty brands have gotten VERY good at replicating designer items. Take Primark for example: Back when I was a schoolgirl, I was mocked for getting my clothes from there. I admit, it wasn't brilliant then and more useful for your basics but now look at it, there's not many who simply can't get enough of it! Prices HAVE increased just like everything else but the quality and appearance of the items are great and my Primark items are in top condition and have lasted years!

Make-up differs regarding quality. Some cheap brands are just terrible on the whole and may have one or two great products and that's as far as it goes. However, some drugstore brands are amazing for top quality products! Revlon, Barry M, Loreal, Maybelline, MUA and Make-up Revolution are just SOME of the amazing drugstore brands that sell wonderful dupes and so much more! Personally, I am happy to pay more for base products as they are going directly on my skin but I couldn't care less where my eyeliner/lipliner is from as long as it does the job! 


I hope that this post will put some readers mind at ease! There's nothing worse than reading an article online that gets you thinking...then worried!

Thanks for reading! Shez :D


Social Media:


Facebook


BlogLovin


Instagram


Twitter


GIF SOURCE:
All gifs from giphy.com




No comments:

Post a Comment